Public Records Act Requests

Before You File A Request.

Public Records Act Requests are made when a member of the public wants to obtain public information that the City of Eureka does not offer as part of normal business services.  

Check out the City of Eureka Archives to see if the information you seek is already publicly available.  Examples of public data include budgeting and purchasing documents, agreements, agendas, minutes, ordinances, and resolutions.  

What is a Public Records Act Request?

The California Public Records Act is found in the California Government Code, beginning at Section 6250.  A public record is a wide variety of documents and other materials (including print, photographic, and electronic formats) created or obtained by a city agency and are, at the time the request is filed, in the department's possession and control. The Act excludes certain categories of records from disclosure, including materials related to internal agency rules, proprietary business information, inter- and intra-agency communications protected by legal privileges, and personal privacy.  Other exclusions apply for Eureka Police Department Records.  Please see Eureka Police Department Records Section for more information, and to make a Public Records Act request related to records of the Eureka Police Department.

How May I Request Records?

State law does not require a written request for records, nor does it require a person to disclose personal information to receive public records.  However, filling out the Request for Public Records form will allow City staff to more accurately identify the records sought and process the request more efficiently.  Please email the request form to, or mail to Office of City Attorney, 531 K Street, Eureka, CA 95501. 

Be as specific as possible when making your request; include dates and times if applicable, and any details regarding the information you are requesting.  If you need assistance in making a focused and effective request that reasonably describes identifiable records, please let us know, and we will be happy to assist you.  For further information, call (707) 441-4147 or email

How Soon Must the City Respond?

You will be notified within ten (10) days whether your request seeks copies of disclosable public records in the possession of this agency.  In most cases, your request will be processed in two to four weeks, or sooner.  The City may invoke a fourteen (14) working day extension of time to determine whether to comply with your request if there is a need to:

  • Search for and collect the requested records from field facilities;
  • Search for and examine a voluminous number of records; or
  • Consult with other agencies or City departments having a substantial interest in the determination of the request.