Business License

If you are operating a business within the City limits of Eureka, you will need to obtain a Business License annually. Applications are available at the counter located at:

Eureka City Hall
Customer Service Desk
531 K Street
Eureka, CA 95501

Finance Department, First Floor (707) 441-4267

Press option 1 for the Finance Office then option 3 for Business Licenses

Customer Service Counter Hours  (Except Holidays)

Development Services- Open by appointment ONLY

Finance Department- Monday through Thursday 9 am-4 pm

If you cannot come into the office to pick up a form, completed license applications may also be sent directly to for review.

The following are the requirements that need to be met in order to obtain a City of Eureka Business License:

1. Complete a Business License Application.

Business License Application Packet

NOTE: If you are operating your business outside of the City limits of Eureka, contact the City in which you wish to operate. If you are in the unincorporated area surrounding Eureka, please contact the County of Humboldt offices at (707) 476-2450.

2. There are certain business activities which require you to obtain clearance from the City of Eureka Police Department. These include, but are not limited to: massage (California Massage Therapy Council Certificate is acceptable in lieu of the EPD Massage Certificate), firearms sales, buying and selling of certain used merchandise, pawn brokers, door-to-door sales and solicitation, and itinerant (out-of-town) vendors. Please contact the Eureka Police Department at (707) 441-4060 for details.

3. Approval for your business location must be obtained from the Community Development and Building Departments.Both are located on the 3rdfloor of City Hall. Their phone numbers are:

Development Services- Planning  (707) 441-4160

Development Services- Building (707) 441-4155

4. All businesses require a physical base of business, even if it is a mobile business.If your business is based from a residence which is located within the limits of the City of Eureka, you will also need to obtain a Home Occupation Permit from the Community Development Department. Please contact them at the number above for an application and information. This form will need to be completed and approved before your Business License will be issued.

5. The last step is to bring your completed Business License application with all necessary approvals back to the cashier in the Finance Department at City Hall. The cashier will fill out the Business License Fees portion of your application. At that time, you pay the fees and turn in your Business License Application. A temporary license will be issued at that time.

You should receive a printed license within 2 weeks. A temporary license will be issued at time of payment if needed. If any of the requisite steps were not completed prior to turning in your application, it will substantially delay issuance of your license.Fees are variable. Please contact the Finance Department at (707) 441-4120 for further information.

Additional information:

SB 1186, a bill which goes into effect on January 1, 2018, imposes a $4.00 State fee on any applicant for a local business license or a renewal and is to be collected by cities. Fees are used “for the purpose of increasing disability access and compliance with construction-related accessibility requirements.”

Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

The Division of the State Architect at:

The Department of Rehabilitation at:

The California Commission on Disability Access at: