Encroachment Permits

Division E-mail: engineering@ci.eureka.ca.gov

Before an Encroachment Permit may be issued, each person performing work within the City right-of-way, shall furnish to the City of Eureka Engineering Division, Certificate(s) of Insurance and Endorsement(s) as described in the "Insurance Requirements for City of Eureka" handout, or such other insurance requirements as prescribed by the Division.  Along with purchasing a business license from the City of Eureka Finance Department. 

NOTE: Providing insurance documents which are acceptable to the City can take several weeks.  An encroachment permit WILL NOT be issued until all insurance documents are acceptable to the Engineering Division, and no work may be done within a City right-of-way until an encroachment permit has been issued.

The Applicant shall describe the work to be done and indicate the proposed work area.  If excavating within a City right-of-way, all existing utilities shall be shown on a site plan.  An encroachment permit allows closure of a sidewalk and parking lane, and may allow closure of an alley, if approved.  Any encroachment into any driving lane requires advance authorization and an approved Traffic Control Plan.

The standard Encroachment Permit fee is $200.  The Encroachment Permit fee for monitoring wells & soil borings is $300 for the Applicant plus $100 for each additional contractor.  The Encroachment Permit fee is payable after the insurance for the Applicant (and each additional contractor, if any) has been approved, and when the Applicant (and each additional contractor, if any) is present at the Engineering Division counter to sign an approved permit.  DO NOT SEND A CHECK IN THE MAIL. 

Please call 707-441-4397 for more information or to request an encroachment permit.  Please call 707-441-4203 for all questions related to insurance.

An Encroachment Permit Application is not required but is useful to describe the project, to list multiple contractors, and/or to gather the Property Owner’s authorization.  To request an Encroachment Permit Application, please call the Engineering Division at 707-441-4194 or click here for an application that may be submitted electronically or printed and faxed to (707) 441-4202.

Sidewalk Café Encroachment Permit Information and Application

During the COVID-19 restrictions, many restaurants and cafés are offering outdoor dining.  If you plan on offering outdoor sidewalk dining, please open and read the links below that provide information on rules and policies as it pertains to the Sidewalk Café Encroachment Permit process.  Your completed Encroachment permit can be emailed to Sabrina Dolling: sdolling@ci.eureka.ca.gov.

If you are inquiring about offering outdoor dining within a City parking lot or right-of-way, please contact Jeff Raimey at jraimey@ci.eureka.ca.gov.

Sidewalk Café Policy Memorandum

Sidewalk Café Insurance Requirements

Sidewalk Café - Fillable Encroachment Application