Sorry, this page has moved!
Please click here to go to the new location.

Street Lights

Department E-mail:

Most of the street lights in the City of Eureka are owned and maintained by Pacific Gas & Electric (PG&E). The City determines the location for lights to be installed and covers the costs for the lighting. There are more than 2000 street lights within the City with an annual cost exceeding $300,000.

The City of Eureka’s policy for installing street lights is typically as follows:

As determined necessary, street lights shall be placed on City Streets only with the exception of the Central Business District area where lights may be placed in alleys as an aid to Police security.

All street light requests are reviewed using the following criteria.

  • Street lights shall be placed at a minimum interval of 300 feet in residential areas.
  • Street lights shall normally be placed at all intersections within the City.
  • Light wattage for commercial areas shall generally be 200-watt high-pressure sodium.
  • Light wattage for residential areas shall generally be 70-watt high-pressure sodium.

Q: How do I get a street light installed?

A: All customer requests for a street light should be forwarded to the City of Eureka’s Traffic/Signals Division. If it is determined that a street light is warranted and adequate secondary distribution on wood poles exists, then the City of Eureka will cover the cost to install the street light on the wood pole.

Q: Is it possible to get a private street light installed if I pay the monthly fee?

A: All customer requests for a private street light should be made to PG&E’s Customer Service Department at 1-800-743-5000.

If an existing pole with adequate distribution facilities exists, there will not be a charge to install the light. However, the customer will be charged a monthly rate for electricity, in accordance with PG&E’s - Schedule of Rates.

Any costs to provide private street lighting where adequate facilities do not already exist will be at the expense of the customer.

Q: What is the appropriate process to have a private streetlight removed?

A: Private street lights are normally removed at the request of the party originally establishing the account or for nonpayment. However, if a valid complaint from a neighbor is received concerning a private street light, and the complaint cannot be resolved, the private street light will be removed. The customer paying for the light will be notified.

Q: Whom do I call to trim trees for street and/or private lights?

A: If a tree is within 10 feet of the high voltage (12000-volt and above) power lines and obscures a street light, a customer may call PG&E’s Customer Service Department at 1-800-743-5000 to trim the tree. However, if the street light is obscured by a tree and there are not any high voltage power lines surrounding the street light, then the customer may call the City of Eureka’s Engineering Department at 707-441-4194 to determine ownership of the trees. The cost to trim trees on private property for a street light will be the responsibility of the property owner.

Q: Whom do I call when a street light is out?

A: If a street light is out, or the street light stays on all day, or the light goes on and off, then the Engineering Department should be called at (707) 441-4194 or you may e-mail the department at Be sure to include your name, telephone number, the location of the malfunctioning street light and the pole number which can be located roughly six feet from the base of the pole. The complaint can also be directed to PG&E by clicking here.